The Grammar Schools Entrance Test
Applications to sit the Grammar School entrance test for entry to Year 7 in September 2024 must be submitted by 4pm on Friday 30 June 2023. The test will take place on Saturday 16 September 2023.
For further information and to register for the test visit The Grammar Schools in Birmingham website.
The test is made up of two papers, each approximately 60 minutes long (which includes time for instructions and example questions). Each test paper is divided into smaller individual sections that test English Comprehension, Verbal Reasoning, Mathematics and Non-Verbal/Spatial Reasoning. There are no sections of writing within the test – all questions are multiple choice and children record their answers on a separate answer sheet.
A link to familiarisation guides can be found at the bottom of this page, showing the style of questions to appear in the test and how answers must be recorded. Neither the Admissions office nor any of the schools keep past papers.
We advise you and your child to visit the schools during their open events – these can be viewed here. Around 6,000 children sit the entrance test every year for entry to our six free Grammar Schools. Many children are anxious about sitting tests, you can help by not putting pressure on your child.
For details on how places are offered at each of the schools and to view their catchment area maps, visit the individual school websites.
All enquiries relating to entry after the age of 11, including Sixth Form admissions, should be directed to the individual schools.
Timetable for the entrance test and admission to our grammar schools for September 2024
- 9 May 2023 – test registration opens.
- 14 June 2023 – deadline for receipt of applications for special arrangements for children with disabilities or requiring additional resources to sit the test.
- 4:00pm 30 June 2023 – deadline for registration to sit the test.
- 16 September 2023 – the entrance test for The Grammar Schools in Birmingham.
- By 20 October 2023 – results of the test sent to parents.
- 31 October 2023 – preference forms must be submitted to your Local Authority
- 1 March 2024 – Local Authorities inform parents of the school place offered to their child
A full familiarisation guide and sample questions can be viewed by visiting www.birminghamgrammarschools.org/content/test
Appeals to King Edward VI in Birmingham Grammar Schools for 2023 entry must be lodged by 29 March 2023; Appeals will take place in May and June 2023.