The Grammar Schools Entrance Test
Applications to sit the Grammar School entrance test for entry to Year 7 in September 2022 must be submitted by 4pm on Wednesday 30 June 2021. The test will take place on Saturday 11 September 2021.
For further information and to register for the test visit The Grammar Schools in Birmingham website.
The test is made up of two papers, each approximately 50 minutes long. Each test paper is divided into smaller individual sections that test verbal ability (reading & comprehension and literacy skills), non-verbal ability and mathematics. There are no sections of writing within the test – all questions are multiple choice and children record their answers on a separate answer sheet.
Familiarisation guides can be found at the bottom of this page, showing the style of questions to appear in the test and how answers must be recorded. Neither the Admissions office nor any of the schools keep past papers.
We advise you and your child to visit the schools during their open events – these can be viewed here. Around 6,000 children sit the entrance test every year for entry to our six free Grammar Schools. Many children are anxious about sitting tests, you can help by not putting pressure on your child.
For details on how places are offered at each of the schools and to view their catchment area maps, visit the individual school websites.
All enquiries relating to entry after the age of 11, including Sixth Form admissions, should be directed to the individual schools.
Timetable for the entrance test and admission to our grammar schools for September 2022
- 4 May 2021 – test registration opens.
- 16 June 2021 – deadline for receipt of applications for special arrangements for children with disabilities or requiring additional resources to sit the test.
- 4:00pm 30 June 2021 – deadline for registration to sit the test.
- 11 September 2021 – the entrance test for The Grammar Schools in Birmingham.
- By 15 October 2021 – results of the test sent to parents.
- 31 October 2021 – preference forms must be submitted to your Local Authority
- 1 March 2022 – Local Authorities inform parents of the school place offered to their child