King Edward’s School
King Edward’s School was founded by King Edward VI in 1552 and is one of the most successful boys’ schools in this country. Until 1936 the school was in New Street, Birmingham but then it moved to its present beautiful site of 50 acres in Edgbaston. That site, shared with King Edward VI High School for Girls, has been enhanced in recent times by major building developments for science, modern languages, music, drama and sport.
The school’s academic performance places it amongst the very best in the country: 68% A*s at GCSE in 2015 and 18 boys into Oxford and Cambridge. King Edward’s School moved to the IB Diploma in 2010, replacing A-levels completely. The 2015 IB Diploma results broke school records and produced three top marks of 45 – a score achieved by only 160 worldwide out of almost 142,000 – an average score of 39.4, and over half of the 104 boys scored 40 points or above: the equivalent to 4 A*s at A-level. The school also has a remarkably rich and diverse extra-curricular life across, sport, music, drama, personal service, trips and expeditions.
The school is fee-paying but about 35% of pupils have some financial support and 10% have free places